Candor Reigns Supreme

Apathy and excuses are not substitutes for pride and dignity. Nowhere on the face of the earth— other than the African American—does a whole race of people let anybody and everybody call them out of their name, and get indignant about trying to address it. There is nothing chic or cool about Blacks referring to one another as niggas. Any self-respecting African American should find this practice to be appalling and totally unacceptable.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Life is a journey, it is an adventure and I try to keep my mind open and receptive to its many secrets that it has to share. I am free from all inhibitions, I am a free flowing spirit, allowing nothing to confine my mind, body and soul. I am sworn to no master and of no sect am I.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT

Recently I responded to comments that Russ Nelson makes about the n-word on his blog, which I must add he is highly in favor of using; and since I'm an African American and he is Caucasian I found it interesting that thru out his blog the n-word is spelled with "er" and not an "a", which further illustrates my point that no matter how that word is spelled, the meaning of it remains the same. The following was posted on his blog in response to my comments. I have in turn responded to the below comments of Russ Nelson, which comes immediately after.



UPDATE 11/9: I received email from H. Lewis Smith, the author of Bury that Sucka!. He objects to the black community's internal use of nigger as a friendly self reference, but when used by people outside of the community, it is an insult. I agree with him. If the power of the word is to be destroyed it can only be done through consistency. I think it can be best destroyed with a "Yes, I'm a nigger" attitude. It seems to me like he thinks that if black people stop using it, so will everyone else. I disagree with him there. As long as there are racists, and as long as racists can offend by using it, the word will be used.



UPDATE 11/12: Russ, I revisited your web site and I just wanted to clarify something about the need for African Americans to refrain from referring to one another with the n-word. The idea is not to try and stop others from using that word. It is not to try and make that word disappear. The reality is that word is as much a part of American history as the Boston Tea Party, the Civil War, slavery, etc. and in of itself will never disappear.

The reality also is that the history behind this word isn't a myth, this word is a testimony to some of the most ugliest and darkest moments in American history, therefore there is nothing respectable about this word and for African Americans to show disrespect to themselves borders on the line of being mindless. White American for almost four centuries have always encouraged Blacks to identify themselves with this word and will never discourage them not to. It is the African American who is going to have to learn to re-define who they are...and what they are not is the n-word. In other words, there is more to this word than just being a racial slur, there is an image associated with this word that psychologically is mentally debilitating.

So just to clarify, the issue is not to try and control what others say or do, but to control ourselves.

2 Comments:

Blogger Terron Hill said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:07 AM PDT  
Blogger Terron Hill said...

I believe that if African Americans as a whole stop degrading themselves, by not feeding into the hype of being "n-words", that the rest of the world will also. History has shown that blacks have a huge impact in this world. If you look at what's going on today, as far as the phrase "follow the leader", many people emulate what is obviously inappropriate and stupid. As adults, we should know right from wrong, regardless of race color, or creed but do we actually favor what's right? Many races outside of the black race these days actually consider themselves pimps, players, hustlers, gangters, goons, etc. With that being said, if this is behavior that's unacceptable, then shouldn't what we are referred to by the world apply to everyone else that does the same? Blacks are talked about more than any other race ever created. So, with that said, if blacks pull together and not feed into the stereotypes, then what can the rest of the world say then? Can you imagine a "N-word" free world? Most people can't but it's possible. Just look at Barack Obama. And there you have it.

3:15 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home